I made a perfect meal the other night. I pan sautéed brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved) with butter, Full Circle Ranch bacon and garlic until slightly browned and seared. I then sautéed a package of Full Circle Ranch andouille sausage in olive oil and added a whole lot of braising mix to the pan and let it cook down a bit. I served these 2 dishes with a nice full glass of Wooldridge Winery’s malbec. Yum! It was such a perfect combination of flavors, quality meat and yummy BMF veggies. If you are a meat eater, I highly recommend these combinations.
Things are moving along nicely on the farm.The greenhouse is filing up. Crop planning is happening and we will be ordering our seed for the 2012 season soon. We’re finishing putting up our 3rd hoop house and even got some tractor work done in all that dry weather! And having lots of downtime too and slow mornings. Soaking up the wintertime before it gets too busy again.
In your boxes this week:
- 2# Red & Yellow Onions
- 5# Carrots – We are giving you more this week — everyone seems to love them and can’t get enough!
- 2# Potatoes
- 2# Parsnips — Yum! I love parsnips. We had quite a bit of gopher damage on our parsnip crop. This is the first year we’ve actually successfully grown them. We’ve had trouble getting them to germinate the last couple of years. They can take up to 21 days to germinate in the field and you must keep them watered and wet that entire time. Tricky, but we pulled it off this year, but the gophers took out about 1/2 the crop, so we’ve pulled all that we had for you this week. Try using them as a topping for Shepherd’s Pie. Check out our recipe.
- 2# Beets — There have been requests for more beets, so here you go!
- 1# Leeks
- 2 Stalks of Brussels Sprouts — We thought you’d appreciate more of these. Man, we want to grow an acre of these next year. We love them!
- 1/2# Spinach — A new crop coming out of our hoop houses.
- 1 Green Cabbage
- 1/2# Salad — A mix of asian greens. lettuces and arugula.
- 1 Delicata — Not a lot of winter squash this week. We had some damage on the delicata and had to throw out 1/2 of the squash. We have an insulated room, but we think it got too cold in there and some of the squash rotted as a result.
- 2 Kohlrabi — I know these look weird and big, but they are tasty and delicious. These are a large storage variety of kohlrabi called Kossack. Try out our roasted kohlrabi recipe. You’ll be a forever convert! I’ve also included some kohlrabi cooking tips if you are just mystified by this vegetable.
- 1.5# Braising Mix – The italian kales have been taken over by aphids, so the mix is now just redbor and winterbor kale, napa cabbage and chard.
And recipes for the week: January19CSARecipes
Have a happy week! -M, E, A, & J